Dual fuel PFI rails....

Barry Tisdale btisdale at cybersol.com
Tue Jun 15 13:29:24 GMT 1999

Fredrick -

Looks like you advise me on another project!  The video work went by the board for two months while I tracked down a 'lousy running' problem that turned out to be a plugged cat converter.  How's your quad LCD project going?

Anyhow, what I envision isn't 2 injectors per cylinder, but two rails feeding a single injector (already in place) w/ two different fuels.  Would have to fab a complete manifold for my Sy to mount two injectors per cylinder, *definitely* something I don't want to get into!

Machining the six needed Al blocks wouldn't be hard, but all the fittings might be.  Each block (holding one injector) would have two fuel inlets & 2 outlets.  That's four connections per block, a total of 24 connections to make for a V6.  Probably isn't physical space for such a thing, and a leak *somewhere* seems inevitable; plumber's nightmare!

I'm still not sure I'm getting my idea across.  Lets say you have three pipe Tees, of a size the injector will fit into.  Place the injector into the upright leg of one Tee; then, take the other two tees and connect their base leg (upright leg) into the two ends of the crossleg of the tee containing the injector.  You now have two tees feeding one, which then feeds the sole injector for one cylinder.  Common volume would be too large to allow rapid switching of fuels w/ this arrangement, but that's the idea.

Question comes down to: can two parallel holes of 5/16" dia. be drilled in a 1" x 3/4" block, 9" long?  Guess I just need to try it; Al stock available locally, I have 9" metal lathe, just need a *long* 5/16" drill.  Guess the question *really* is, can *I* do it; probably very do-able by a pro!

This letter turned out to be "thinking out loud" - guess I'll just have to tool up & try it; will fill those long winter months coming soon.......  I just thought someone, somewhere, must have done this & could offer tips & advice.

Thanks - Barry