Dual fuel PFI rails....

Barry Tisdale btisdale at cybersol.com
Tue Jun 15 15:58:38 GMT 1999

Hey, thanks for the reply!  What I had in mind is very like what you suggest, with solenoid valves to block the return line of the fuel *not* in use; one NO (normally open), one NC.  Both switched to follow their appropriate pumps; analagous to ORing them.  Reason for the *two* rails is to minize the switchover time; the more volume common to the two fuel circuits, the greater the time to purge the 'old' fuel and the longer the time before the injector sees the 'new' fuel.  I'd like the system to be transparent, switching at, say, 1 psi of boost to the higher octane fuel.  With two rails of 5/16" diameter, 1/4" common bores feeding the injector, switchover time should be 0.3 seconds or better.  Seems to be just a mechanical problem, like what to make the assembly out of & how to fit it into the space available, same mounting setup, etc.

I'll check the archives as you suggested.

Thanks for the advice; certainly appreciate it! - Barry