Subject: Not diy_efi....how to disable a computer carb or put in

ARoss10661 at aol.com ARoss10661 at aol.com
Tue Jun 15 16:04:27 GMT 1999

In a message dated 6/15/99 10:13:48 AM Central Daylight Time,
shannen at grolen.com writes:

<< Been there, done that.   Physically balancing the two works great at
 idle, but lousy on the road.  There's no deceleration enleanment, no
 richening of mixture under load.  I suspect the reason the carb goes
 to full rich is to give some semblance of driveability, especially in
 the underpowered, highway geared barges they were first used on.  I've
 run these carbs with the m/c solenoid disconnected, leaning the rich
 stop some.  Don't hope to pass an emissions test though, especially if
 it requires off idle testing.  Also, make sure the AIR pump isn't
 pumping O2 into the manifolds or cat when you're running rich, else
 you'll end up with a nice warm glow from the exhaust system.  Feedback
 carbs take some real skill, IMO, and the time you invest in them could
 easily be replaced with time in a junkyard pulling parts for a tbi
 swap.  Bruce P can tell ya stories about those carbs, I've just
 started working on them in the last few years.
 Shannen >>

OK hers a question for everyone who thinks a tbi swap might be worth the
trouble like off of a 305 chevy??

Al