Will Chevy Mount to GMTH425 Toronado/Eldorado Transaxle?

Paul Tholey pxtx at erols.com
Tue Jun 15 22:06:48 GMT 1999

Here is the information as I know it to be true.

GM TurboHydromatic 425 automatic transmission/transaxle as used
>in the 1966-75 Oldsmobile Toronado

Traditional Buick Olds Pontiac Caddy bell patter.  They are all the same,
Chevy is different.

 I >am also wonder if the Oldsmobile bellhousing is the same bolt pattern
as the>Cadillac? Are these two completely interchangeable in all aspects?

 As far as mechanics of bolt up yes.

>Does anyone know if the new Cadillac NorthStar engine has the same mounting
>pattern as the older Cadillac GMTH 425 transaxle allowing these two to be
>mated together?

No, they are not the same.  The northstar uses the GM front wheel drive
patern so any front wheel drive pattern on newer cars should work.  My bet
is anything with overdrive is cool.

Or alternatively, will the Cadillac NorthStar engine mount
>to the Cadillac transaxle that was used in the 1981-1984 Cadillac Eldorado
>that was not the transverse mounted engine arrangement but was the engine

I beleive this to be yes, but I can doble check for you if this is a
serious option.

For more accurate info, check the archives!

On tidbit I do know is that the S10 4cy and 2.8 V6 use the front wheel
drive so that you can use a 700R4 out of an S10 to make your northstar RWD
or use the Stick shift set up if you want a manual tranny RWD northstar.

Paul Tholey