Fw: Any Jeep owners?

Tom Sharpe twsharpe at mtco.com
Wed Jun 16 00:27:12 GMT 1999

Michael Selig wrote:

> This is the setup I am looking for, coupled with a turbo 350 or 400 and a
> short rear driveshaft.

I have done several SBC-CJ5 conversions. Use the Turbo 350 and Advance
Adapters Adapter. You can get a 4wd turbo 350 (short output shaft) and save a
few bucks.

The T400 is too long. (and heavy). There are several other (T700R4, etc) kits
available, but very expensive and (IMHO) not worth the $ for overdrive...
just gear it right for your tires, you've already got an xfer case!

I have always wanted to do a quadratrack (T400) by changing the tranny case
and use a SBC or BBC or other GM (or SBF-460---Ford should fit in place of
the 304/360 AMC into the stock bell housing)

The T350 needs the $35 second gear sprag race from TCI to live over 500 FT
LBS (and a kit).

I put a 350/T350 in place of a 6 cyl 4 speed (old style w/ granny low) and
didn't cut the drive shafts. (Hint - you can find stock drive shafts that
fit).

You can also use Bronco (2.5 ratio ?) gears in a Jeep Dana 20 Xfer case (2.0
ratio) - just cut and weld the shifter forks.

I also made an adapter by welding together a shortened powerglide tailshaft
housing and the last 2 inches of a T350 case to use a Powerglide (with tranny
brake) between a 482 BBC and the AA T350/Dana20 adapter. The other racers
were crawling underneath to figure out how I got such a good hole shot.  The
Turbo GN boys should try that!!!

Good luck and reply offlist if you have any more questions.  Tom