Subject: Not diy_efi....how to disable a computer carb

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Wed Jun 16 04:39:01 GMT 1999

neilaura at accessworldnet.com wrote:

> I've been working on Q-jets, both feedback and the old power piston type
> for years. I have never had a problem getting them to work properly.
> But I agree with you 100%. If at all posible upgrade to Fuel injection, and
> use the Q-jet as a paperweight or if you have a pair, bookends.
>
> Neil

Then you have the gift that many strive for, and the knowledge to use
it. : )  I enjoy carbs, but EFI is worlds better.  I think carbs are
appropriate when a fresh, untested, non-stock powertrain is being
installed in a vehicle that will be converted to EFI.  Getting the
engine broken in and running well on a carb then switching to EFI
later reduces the headaches involved in tuning the new engine.  Guys
with more computer tuning experience may disagree.  As I get more ECM
tuning experience I may eventually end up skipping the carb step.
Right now I work with the carb first.
Shannen