Combustion Pressure Sensor - revisited

M. Jones rmjones at cyberhighway.net
Wed Jun 16 15:12:52 GMT 1999

Just read on AVweb, an aviation oriented on-line magazine (www.avweb.com --
subscription required, but free) where GAMI (General Aviation Modifications,
Inc.) has developed a system which allows them to monitor instantaneous
combustion chamber pressure.  They drill a small hole in a spark plug and fit a
"proprietary sensor" to accomplish this.  Beyond that description, they
apparently ain't tellin.  The graphs presented in the article are pretty
interesting.

All of this is extremely interesting to us aviation types, 'cause aviation
recips are operated with FIXED timing, optimized for ONE condition -- full
throttle, a set RPM, and rich mixture.

Anyway, for the article, go to www.avweb.com, chooses Columns and select 'That
Misunderstood Mixture'  At some point, you'll be asked to subscribe (free).
 The article (the last third or so, anyway) actually is a pretty interesting
discussion of mixture and timing consequences, and includes a couple of
combustion event graphs.

Mike Jones

Tom Butler wrote:

This thought has occurred to me as well.  A possible problems with this
approach might be drive line shocks propagating back to the crank shaft.
Perhaps the transients occur on a different time scale?  I'm sure an
algorithm could be cooked up to extract the required information, provided
the "noise" can be eliminated.
TomB