low cost embedded PC's

Pat Ford pford at qnx.com
Thu Jun 17 17:45:21 GMT 1999

Previously, you (Peter D. Hipson) wrote:
> Well, they are worth every penny you paid for them! <g> The 80188 is
> basically a 8088 with a few minor enhancements. Now, that said, you could
> write something on a PC and try to port it over. You'd have to be careful,
> but it is doable. You could write in C, or Assembly.

and compile as a *.com you then set the reset vector ( at ffff:fffe) to jump
to the start of your program. Then you don't need an os saves lotsa space
in those flash chips.

the reset vector "should" be the last 2 bytes on the flash

> At 10:01 PM 6/17/99 +1000, you wrote:
> >Okay - here's a thought...
> >
> >The other day, at a trash-and-treasure sale at the local shopping centre,
> >I picked up a few different printer ethernet controller units. These have
> >a 10baseT and/or 10base2 connector and one or two parallel ports and
> sometimes
> >a serial port too. They are used on a network to connect PCs to a networked
> >printer.

cool

> >Two of them had 80C188 microcontrollers and another two had Z180s. Two
> even had
> >large flash ROMs.

just the flash parts are worth more then you paid

Pat Ford                           email: pford at qnx.com
QNX Software Systems, Ltd.           WWW: http://www.qnx.com
(613) 591-0931      (voice)         mail: 175 Terrence Matthews
(613) 591-3579      (fax)                 Kanata, Ontario, Canada K2M 1W8