Dodge D200 Swap (yet again)

Frederic Breitwieser frederic at xephic.dynip.com
Sat Jun 19 23:21:15 GMT 1999

Just updated some of my pages... pictures only, didn't add the text yet.

Anyway,

http://www.xephic.dynip.com/dodge/318swap.htm

Yanked out the 318.  When you load the page, scroll all the way to the
bottom, that's where the new pictures are.  The rest of the page is
kinda "status quo".  Eventually I'll break it up into three pages.
Pre-yank, yank, and install.

Install occurs tomorrow :)

BTW, its imperative you remove the starter when taking out a truck's
318.  Even though none of the bolts need to be removed to seperate the
engine from the bellhousing, the starter shell was in the way.

Chilton's didn't say "remove starter", so I didn't bother.  an hour
later, after yanking with all my might, I removed the starter, then one
good hearty yank resulted in the seperation.

I also sat the unloaded "B" block in there, with its own motor mounts,
and by coincidence, if I take the existing 318 motor mounts and rotate
them 180 degrees, they line up perfectly with the B Block, and the
centerline of the crank appears to line up with the centerline of the
tranny.  Of course the bell housing is different, but I have that.  So,
to swap in the "B" stroker down the road, should require nothing
mechanical - the flywheel is the same, I already verified that, thus
ensuring that the only piece I'd need that's different is the
bellhousing, which I have sitting on the garage floor.

Kewl, eh?  Couldn't be any easier.  Damn, I like simple.

Cheers!