read engine rpm from battery/alternator???

KD6JDJ at aol.com KD6JDJ at aol.com
Sun Jun 20 04:34:33 GMT 1999

>Recently I´ve seen that Bosch´s latest rolling road reads the engine rpm
from
>the battery voltage. When connecting my multimeter to the battery I can read
>different frequencies at different rpm´s caused by the alternator. This
seems to
>be easy but when connecting my 20 MHz-oscilloscope to the battery I can only
>see
>a flat line around 14.0 volts.

  Alex
  I dont know how much work you are willing to do with your alternator.
  If you are willing to disassemble it, it is simple to attach two leads to 2
of the stator leads within the alternator. That will give you a very reliable
ac signal -- always.
  If you do try to read the AC off the 12 vdc lead, you will get many
different kinds of ac component signals, depending mainly on battery charge
level.

    Jerry