Todd's sure fire blower sale - Fred,

David A. Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 20 16:47:25 GMT 1999

At 10:53 PM 6/19/99 +0000, you wrote:
>Hey Dave,
>
>Thanks for the info, very interesting...
>
>However, ALL the Diesel trucks(18-wheelers, mack trucks, etc...) are ALL
>using regular old Blowers in their Billion Mile vehicles, with no
>problems, and they'vebeen doin it for YEARS....

There are actually more turbocharged diesel trucks around now than blown...
Even the diesel manufacturers found the turbo was MUCH more efficient than
a roots blower.  If you ever get a chance to peer under the hood of a GM
General, take note on the size of the turbo's... they're HUGE.  those big
diesels with 18:1 or 20:1 compression are running 20+ pounds boost off the
turbo and making gobs of torque!

>Just how long HAVE Roots type blowers been around anyhow?...

For ever!

>Point being is that if ALL of the 18-wheelers believe that the way their
>blowers are set up(Without the teflon seals on the tips of the lobes,
>etc.) are good enough for millions upon billions of miles, WHY would you
>wanna mess with that?

The old GM diesels with blowers actually use the blower on the 2 stroke
diesels only... I have seen some books that show the blower on the exhaust
side sucking exhaust out to help scan\venge, and I have seen some books
showing them on the intake side.  In either case, they are not required to
build any respectable pressure, only to assist in moving air/exhaust.

>In other words, just how much more efficient would seals make a regular
>old 6-71 huffer?  Just wonderin....

A bit, but it's efficiency is still way down compared to a properly sized
turbo system

>I'm thinkin that the seals or the like would make the blower as much
>more  efficient as TOTAL SEAL rings make an engine....

there could be a comparison there... Normal rings set up properly in a
properly prepared/built engine have very little problems... Total seal
gapless rings also have a bit over that in sealing capacity, but the result
is more like pissing yourself while wearing a black suit... It gives you a
warm feeling, but no one else notices.

           David Cooley N5XMT           Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
   Sponges grow in the ocean... Wonder how deep it would be if they didn't?!