Dodge D200 Swap (yet again)

Frederic Breitwieser frederic at xephic.dynip.com
Sun Jun 20 17:03:37 GMT 1999

> Why did ya pull the 318? Did it go bad?  Can't remember...

Well, long story summarized:

Qty (1) D200, w/318, w/over 400k on original engine, labeled 318 (A) for
discussion.

318(A) worked fine, then developed loss of oil pressure.  Small fracture
in block I never noticed cracked through, so now I had a large hole in
block just above oil pan, which I temporary repaired with stainless
steel exhaust tape until I could find another 318 that ran good in the
various junkyards.  Yanked engine, swapped in 1988 318, labeled (B) for
discussion.  318 (B) worked fine for a while, then developed low oil
pressure at idle, then no oil pressure at all.  Then, loud knocking
sound (bearings?) appeared and while I raced home to get it in the
driveway, it died and something "disconnected" and makes a nasty
slapping sound.  I'm assuming a rod-end at the bottom broke open, or
maybe a wrist pin went, or something like that.  So, that's what I
yanked this weekend, the "new" 318.

I already junked the one with the stainless steel tape on it, however
the intake and carb is mounted on the one I just yanked, so I have to
swap that over to the new 318, labeled (C) for discussion :)  This 318
actually was opened up, rehoned, new bearings, rings and gaskets, so it
should be in better shape than the junker's I've been shoving in there.

> What's goin back into the truck?  Will it not get the B treatment?

The 383 stroker turbocharged engine is not ready go to in there.  I
destroyed the first one, and the second one is almost ready, but I need
the truck running now, so I'll do a conversion later in the summer.
Gives me more time to figure out the GM 7730 ECM - it runs the engine
okay "stock" but when the turbo's kick in, it freaks out.  It runs great
with the Haltach ECM I have on it now, but I don't want to put that into
the truck, unless somehow I run into another Haltech or Electromotive
unit.

> Do you have a digital camera? or are ya usin REAL FILM to take your
> pics?  OR a video with a video card to scan the pics in directly from
> the vid?

Oh, I have an original old style Epson PhotoPC.  Huge beast, but takes
nice pictures for a website.  320x240x64 mil in low res (great for web)
and 640x480x16mil in hi res.