NC crank prep/lightening for a DIY'r?

Ludis Langens ludis at cruzers.com
Mon Jun 21 11:52:41 GMT 1999

Ross Corrigan wrote:
> sounds good, I have a dremel and now the air die grinder, haven't boughten
> any bits for the die grinder sides the stones that came with it as they
> were pricey and I didn't know what I needed yet, maybe their's a kit w/ the
> bits I'd need? (Eastwood?)

Consider getting a few 1/4 inch shaft carbide burrs for the air die
grinder.  The double cut style seems more popular (easier to get) than
the single cut style.  My favorite burr is a 3/8 diameter "tree w/
radius end" shape.  A 3/8 cylinder w/ radius end can also be useful.  Be
careful with any burr where a straight side suddenly ends (like the
grinder end of the radiused cylinder.)  Make sure it hangs over the edge
of your work or else you _will_ cut a notch.  Thus, for porting, shapes
with rounded sides are useful.  They'll let you feather the new cut into
the old surface.

The smaller burrs are $10 to $15 (US) each.  I got mine from a machine
tool supply house.  Eastwood does have a few in their catalog.  If you
are working in aluminum, you need special burrs meant for soft materials.

Use a full face shield - just goggles will result in a bloody nose as
you breath in metal chips.