A/F ratio and fuel volume

Damon Kelley dmkelley at cmti.net
Tue Jun 22 20:38:39 GMT 1999

Thats what I figured but according to these calculations my engine
would use the entire tank of gas in a quarter mile pass. Is the
amount of fuel for the volume under compression only. I am pretty
sure that wouldn't work.

> <<Does anyone have a formula for find required cc's of fuel for a given
> cc's of air for stoichometric(sp?) mixture. Any useable volume units
> will be sufficient. Thanks>>
>
> Damon,
>
> This seems to simple, perhaps I'm missing something here. Stoichiometric
> (Lambda) is 14.7:1 air/fuel ratio. So, 1 CC of fuel to 14.7 CCs of air is
> stoichiometric, in theory. Just divide the air volume (of any unit) by 14.7 (of
> the same unit)to calculate the fuel volume needed to equal Lambda. For example,
> if you had a total volume of 45 CCs in the cylinder head...then 45/14.7= 3.06
> CCs of fuel required for Lambda. Granted, this is just an estimate. There are a
> lot of other factors, such as temp, chamber geometry, injector
> type/placement/spray pattern, system pressure, ignition timing, and a few
> others. But, to answer your simple volume question...just divide by 14.7 and
> correct for any unit you use (metric or SAE). Good luck.
>
> Jason
> '93 SLC

Damon Kelley
87 Shadow ES T1 A-520 Cold Air Induction, Bleedin'
89 Sundance N/A
89 CSX #208 26,000miles in 5 months or less
96 Sebring JXi Conv
96 CBR600F3 Soon to have cute little talon turbo