ION sense stuff

Gar Willis garfield at cyberlynk.com
Wed Jun 23 13:34:48 GMT 1999

On Tue, 22 Jun 1999 17:59:58 -0500 steve ravet <Steve.Ravet at arm.com>
wrote:

>There was some discussion about voltage levels in the archive.  As I
>recall, Saab uses 2 voltage levels, about 80 and about 400.  I think the
>reason had to do with lower voltage levels attracting particles to the
>plug electrodes and cruding them up.  Someone else mentioned using an
>A/C bias to combat the problem but I don't recall if that was tested.
>
>This is from distant memory so it may be totally wrong...

Your memory is workin just fino. However, I doubt the idea of "an A/C
bias" was anything more than just a hip shot; at least it doesn't make
any sense to me. B)

There is even a BURST of sparks issued during startup on the Saabs to
"clean" the plugs up! And if you've ever SEEN one of these systems, the
plug ends DO get vewy vewy dewty from the static electricity involved.

Gar

P.S. Steve, did you move people to digest mode during ole majordumbo's
latest breakdown? cuz I'm suddenly in digest mode.