EFI for Propane

Pat Ford pford at qnx.com
Mon Mar 1 14:55:17 GMT 1999

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999, Raymond C Drouillard wrote:

> Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 01:57:27 -0500
> From: Raymond C Drouillard <cosmic.ray at juno.com>
> To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject: Re: EFI for Propane
>

> >....What about cooling the lpg to a point where its liquid, then we
> >could use regular efi injectors, we dont have to create a box that must
> >regulate injection time for the variable pressure that temperature is
> doing
> >
> >for lpg fuel pressure.Can a Lucas disc type injector cope with the
> >pressure?
> >What about two injectors in series?One ontop of the other?
> >I have been thinking of just pumping twostroke oil into the lpg tank
> >to get a mix.
> >Espen Hilde
>
> I was thinking of feeding the liquid into the injecter at perhaps 330
> PSI, and using something similar to a diesel injecter on the other end
> that opens at 300 PSI.  That way the injecter would see a 30 PSI

it may be more then 300psi require to keep the propane liquid, and a pump
would be needed to get the liquid to the warm end of the fuel system

> difference in pressures, and be dealing with a warm liquid.  The standard
> injecter would be used as a valve, and the propane would vaporize once it
> leaves the injecter (regulater or whatever you want to call it).
>
> I would rather have an injecter that can handle the 300 PSI without such
> a jerry rig, though.

on the way home I was thinking about this and a major problem would be
vapour lock the vapour pressure of gas is less then propane

just my $0.02

Pat Ford                           email: pford at qnx.com
QNX Software Systems, Ltd.           WWW: http://www.qnx.com
(613) 591-0931      (voice)         mail: 175 Terrence Matthews
(613) 591-3579      (fax)                 Kanata, Ontario, Canada K2M 1W8