Speed Sensor

Pat Ford pford at qnx.com
Mon Mar 1 15:19:26 GMT 1999

On Mon, 1 Mar 1999, Benjamin Marsh wrote:

> Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 10:41:44 +1100 (EST)
> From: Benjamin Marsh <bmarsh at turing.une.edu.au>
> To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject: Speed Sensor
>

> The L-jet in my Soob is giving a fault code 33 which corresponds to
> a speed sensor in the workshop manual - I have pulled the dash out to
> try and find it. The closest thing I can find is a 3" long plastic
> strip with metal tabs at each end and a thing in the middle that kinda
> looks like a high voltage light bulb. Is this the speed sensor? ii so

soobies tended to have the sensors in the speedo head but what you describe
sounds like the reed switch sensor they used

> will just replacing it fix the problem or is the speed sensor somewhere
> else that I haven't looked.
>
> When driving at moderate load I can feel the car slightly shudder and
> then the ECS light comes on - is the speed sensor at fault or is it
> a sort of limp home mode thing on the comp? The car feels to go a lot
> better when the ECS light is off rather than on...

is the car spfi ( throttle body ) if it is check the reluctor in the
distributer, they had problems there otherwise I'd look at the afm

> Car is a 1987 Leone RX Turbo

dooh then it's mpfi.

Pat Ford                           email: pford at qnx.com
QNX Software Systems, Ltd.           WWW: http://www.qnx.com
(613) 591-0931      (voice)         mail: 175 Terrence Matthews
(613) 591-3579      (fax)                 Kanata, Ontario, Canada K2M 1W8