GM IAC

Terrill Yuhas tyuhas at mail.arl.arizona.edu
Mon Mar 1 16:06:47 GMT 1999

First off, I want to thank all those who helped me with suggestions on my
rough idle/idle hunting problem with a GM 3.1L V6.  Turns out the IAC was
pretty varnished up.  After a good bead blasting :-) , all was assembled
and things are working much better.  Of course there was a tense moment
(pucker factor: 7), when while cleaning out the throttle body, I shot the
cleaner straw into the intake.  What's the minimum requirements for this
cone-shaped-hat club again?

Anyhow, my question is that the manuals I have (Haynes and the bigger
Chilton's model specific guide) mention an O-ring for the IAC.  I didn't
find any O-ring or gasket of any sort.  It was just plastic on aluminum.
Should this be the case?  I don't have the full story on how the IAC
functions but maybe this could explain the degradation at idle when the
engine is hot with the different material expansion rates.  Dunno...just
thinking out loud so sorry if that sounds really dumb.

Thanks!

Terrill