EFI for Propane

Raymond C Drouillard cosmic.ray at juno.com
Tue Mar 2 04:50:24 GMT 1999

>You don't need a pump if you take propane off the bottom of the tank -
>called liquid withdrawal. This is standard for automotive propane
>systems. It IS liquid when it hits the "evaporator" - you know, that
>water heated thingamagig used on "carbed" propane units. The pressure
>varies with tank(vapour) temperature - not with fuel level, so it would

The reason for increasing the pressure is that it is warmer under the
hood than at the tank.  The pressure in the tank would be insufficient to
keep the propane in a liquid state in the plumbing under the hood.  Even
a little bubbling would cause less fuel to be injected than is intended
by the ECU.

>not be hard to calibrate an EFI to use liquid propane. The problem I see
>is getting an injector to do the deed. Mabee try the electronic
>controlled injectors from something like a Ford Powerstroke or
>electronically managed Cummins or Mack. Not sure how they work, or if
>they require lubrication. Size the injector to flow 15% more fuel than
>you would use for gasoline to start because energy density of propane is
>about that much lower (If I remember correctly - my propane days go back
>a little while)
>The big problem, at least here in Ontario, would be getting the bugger
>certified so you would be allowed to re-fuel it. Lots of little things
>you would not think of, I'm sure.

Very good point!  Even here in Michigan, it would be a good idea to get
the documentation on the standards.  It makes good sense to build the
system to safety standards that were developed from exerience.  Some
experience is very costly...

Ray