Am I in the right place?

Heinz Wittenbecher heinz at bytedesigns.com
Wed Mar 3 19:59:11 GMT 1999

Thank you for confirming I'm at the right place (among tinkerers).

>> In my airplane days we
>> used to go peak and then enrichen 50-75 degrees.
>
>cool a lean roll using egt's I'd be curious  about this too, might be a
>way to double check optimal a/f ratio. Do you remember what a/f ratio
>this produced?

No idea on actual a/f ratios.
It was used only at cruise power and altitude. Basically adjusting fuel
(manually) to the amount of air available at the particular altitude.

I guess my main concern is burning of valves, etc. if running too lean,
hence the question as to how close to peak is feasable to run without doing
damage.

My plan is to do some data logging for the first few hundred or perhaps
first 1000 miles on my next trip to get a baseline of egt and other temp
readings for the Accell settings that have been in use for the last 10k and
then to start playing with the VIC. Perhaps it'll explain itself, i.e. if
I'm running several hundred degrees from peak even getting it to within a
hundred should be an improvement and not likely to hurt anything.

I'll pass on what I find. In the meantime I'll be a happy lurker.

Heinz

<snip>