Am I in the right place?

Pat Ford pford at qnx.com
Wed Mar 3 20:51:40 GMT 1999

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Heinz Wittenbecher wrote:

> Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 12:01:32 -0800
> From: Heinz Wittenbecher <heinz at bytedesigns.com>
> To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject: Re: Am I in the right place?
>
> Thank you for confirming I'm at the right place (among tinkerers).
>
> >> In my airplane days we
> >> used to go peak and then enrichen 50-75 degrees.
> >
> >cool a lean roll using egt's I'd be curious  about this too, might be a
> >way to double check optimal a/f ratio. Do you remember what a/f ratio
> >this produced?
>
> No idea on actual a/f ratios.
> It was used only at cruise power and altitude. Basically adjusting fuel
> (manually) to the amount of air available at the particular altitude.

I'd guess probly around 12:1 ( for peak power??)

> I guess my main concern is burning of valves, etc. if running too lean,
> hence the question as to how close to peak is feasable to run without doing
> damage.

I've been worried about my tracker the exhaust manifold gets red hot
( I noticed it after running out of wiper fluid at night

> My plan is to do some data logging for the first few hundred or perhaps
> first 1000 miles on my next trip to get a baseline of egt and other temp
> readings for the Accell settings that have been in use for the last 10k and
> then to start playing with the VIC. Perhaps it'll explain itself, i.e. if
> I'm running several hundred degrees from peak even getting it to within a
> hundred should be an improvement and not likely to hurt anything.
>
> I'll pass on what I find. In the meantime I'll be a happy lurker.

this is a good place to learn

Pat Ford                           email: pford at qnx.com
QNX Software Systems, Ltd.           WWW: http://www.qnx.com
(613) 591-0931      (voice)         mail: 175 Terrence Matthews
(613) 591-3579      (fax)                 Kanata, Ontario, Canada K2M 1W8