Electronic advance problems...

andy quaas realsquash at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 3 21:18:36 GMT 1999

this is long....

Someone contacted me with a problem that they are having with their
projection 4Di.  They have it tuned up on a 454 with a 1988
remote-coil HEI distributor.  It will run for 43 minutes (every time),
no matter if its idling or driving down the road.  They are also using
the ESC module and knock sensor.  They tried a 1980's big-cap
electronic advance HEI and it did the exact same thing.  They were
running with a vacuum-advance HEI and it ran just fine until they
swapped in the new one.  Here's the weird part-The holley has a
separate tach wire that you use if you have the vacuum advance
distributor that doesn't get used when you use the elec. dist.  After
the thing dies, they disconnect the 4-wire connector from the dist.
and isntall the tach wire onto the negative side of the coil.  The
thing starts right up.  They shut it off immidiately and reconnect the
4-wire connector and it runs for another 43 minutes.

Any ideas?  I told them to nix the ESC and try it.

Andy