MPFI and SFI

Terrill Yuhas tyuhas at mail.arl.arizona.edu
Thu Mar 4 16:05:04 GMT 1999

I was looking at options when it comes time to replace my GM MPFI V6.  The
newer versions of this V6 are SFI so a couple of thoughts came to mind
(clearing out the cobwebs).  I also checked in the archives for some extra
info on the topic but essentially:

- From my understanding, SFI engines use a cam sensor to tell the ECM
where in the firing order it is so it sounds like most of the differences
are in the ECM.  Working on that (weak) theory, if one year the engine is
batch and the next it's sequential, you could drop in the sequential motor
and run it as MPFI?

- If I read this right in the archives, SFI is more of a driveability
enhancement than a "power adder" so if it produces 180hp SFI, then it
should produce the same batch-fired?

Just trying to get my EFI myths and legends straight!

Also, if George Dailey is still on the list I'd appreciate to hearing on
how his almost similar swap went about two years ago.  There wasn't a
"closure" post in the archives so I don't know if it ended in utter
failure or not.

Thanks,

Terrill