aluminum intake cosmetics

Jemison Richard JemisonR at tce.com
Thu Mar 4 18:56:29 GMT 1999

Hi James.

I happen to have a lot of experience with home grown polishing.  You can
make yourself a polishing rig out of a dryer motor, a 2 x 12 (I clamp my
setup to the workbench - that way I can remove it when I'm not polishing), 2
- 2inch x 1/8" pieces of angle iron 20-24" long, 2 pillow block bearings
with 1/2 - 3/4" dia inside dia and a bar of steel (I'd suggest about 24 -28"
long).

To make a long story short - basically you need to find someone with a lathe
to turn down the ends down to about 1/2" and thread the ends for you.    The
shaft goes through the bearings (which are bolted to the angle iron and
therefore the board.  The angle iron needs 4 slots (I made mine about 3
inches long each and used 7/16" hardware - so the slot needs to be 7/16" or
a smiggin' larger).  This allows adjustment for the fan belt that connects
the motor to the shaft.  Then you need (forgot to list 2 pulleys) - actually
I've got 4  - 2", 3", 4" and 6" which gives me a lot of different ratios.
Basically though I use 2 and 2   and 2 and 4 the most so 3 pulleys would get
you by.

Buffs - I use 6" x 1/2", 8" x 1/2",  with widths of 1/2" and 1".   I use
almost exclusively spiral sewn cotton buffs.  I get what I want with them
and it saves me money.  I also mix compounds on the same buff - AHhhhh!
Yea, if you're independently wealthy then go a buff for each compound - I
can't afford it and I get the results I want (at least on aluminum and
stainless steel).

Compounds, I use emery (the coarsest), stainless compound, tripoli, white
and red jeweler's rouge.   Over time I've whittled this down to stainless,
white and red.    I use emery for really terrible looking motorcycle cases.
cleans them up fast so I can get moving.

For your intake manifolds though - you need more.   I have a electric die
grinder (about 14" long and weighs about 3-4 pounds).  Sucker gets heavy as
you use it.   You use a mandrel and cotton cone buffs with this thing.   I
use white rouge and jewelers with this thing.  Anything coarser leaves a
finish that doesn't match the coloring I get with the other wheels (this
thing turns very fast).  You have to use this to get down in all those
little places.  Believe it or not, I do not have to use this anywhere to
polish the cases of any motorcycle case I've ever done.   Can do it all with
6" buffs!  So you picked a tough piece to learn on.

Hope it helps.  BTW, once you get the hang of it - it should take about 3
hours to have that intake manifold looking perfect!   Like a mirror!

I'm actually working on an article on how to make one of these setups on my
web page http://www.geocities.com/Pipeline/Dropzone/8979 but just haven't
quite got it done!   It should be out there in a month or so though.

rick