EEC Report

cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu
Fri Mar 5 13:29:46 GMT 1999

As the list ole-timers know, I was a member of this list for a long
time  ..... but, I started a list dedicated specifically to the Ford
EEC-IV and "herding" the list has monopolized my "spare" time.

I have checked back in to report that we've been quite successful
(perhaps this has already been reported here ???   don't know).

The current status:

  . there is now source code for many eecs -- and some of those have
been partially disassembled

  . the engine control data parameters have (mostly) been identified
and found in memory

  . there are now at least three products available that will allow you
to take advantage of your EEC (here they are, in the order of their
"release" / introduction to the EEC list):

  1 - Andy's EECSUCKA PCB board allows reading the memory from any eec-iv
(cost, about $25 for bare PCB .... group buy now in progress, if you're
interested) ....  Andrew March <amarch at icenet.com.au>

	http://www.icenet.com.au/~amarch/eec.htm

  2 - Matt Happy at Auburn Performance Equipment has introduced his
product called the "SpeedBrain", which replaces the '87-'95 (I'm not
certain of the exact years) Mustang MAF EFI.  This is what most
folks are converting to when they do mods -- but, it leaves out
those who have the E4OD tranny.  Auburn Performance Equipment <GoAPE at tiac.net>

	http://www.tiac.net/users/goape/sb.htm

  3 - Eric Goehl <shftmstr at ultranet.com> has just completed an EEC
"adaptor board".  This is what the elusive "calibrator" was to have
been.  It plugs into your existing EEC computer (err, cornfuzer on
the BB list  ;-)   ...... and allows you to examine the memory and
to change any and all control parameters -- or to even substitute
a totally new / different program if you're clever enough !
  .... the beauty of this is it allows you to control _ANY_ eec-iv
on any vehicle (by saying eec-iv, I've excluded eec-v which, I think,
is on '96 and later trucks).  The disadvantage to Eric's unit is
the software exists but is not as good as we or Eric want it to
be, so it is still being worked on .... expect some really cool stuff
once the guys on the eec list get tired of arguing about which "platform"
to use   ;-)

	http://www.eec-tuner.com/

cost of these units is (approximation only here .... I'm working with
a 'faded' cranial cornfuzer

  1 - eecsucka .... about $25  ..... but, it's purchase is complicated
by Andy being down under and there's a problem with converting to
Aussie funny-money  ;-)

  2 - SB costs about $700.

  3 - eec tuner from Eric is about $300 (once again, very reasonable
for what you get -- esp considering what it'd cost you to do it yourself).

Finally, if anyone is interested in the technical side of the EEC,
consider joining the EEC list  .....  and there is information posted
at various www and ftp sites.  Write me for info.

Tom Cloud <cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu>