Use larger inj. & dual -pots/SMOG

Jason_Leone at amat.com Jason_Leone at amat.com
Fri Mar 5 16:59:24 GMT 1999

<<If I need to intercept and modify the MAF signal anyways, then I'd much
rather swap to larger injectors than run the rising rate FPR or plumb in
additional injectors.  It's much cleaner I think, doesn't have any bad
sides that I can see (so long as I don't go so big it won't idle) and
it's much more stealthy.  I'll have a much better chance of sliding this
whole thing by the smog police if I don't have a huge regulator or extra
fuel lines and injectors running everywhere.>>

Damn skippy! That's how to do it. No aux injectors, no rising rate FPR, or any
band-aids like that. Go with larger injectors, and fab up the dual-pot MAF
sensor signal intercept. It's the cleanest low buck way to get the job done (in
your case). You can mount the pots in your glovebox if you want! No SMOG check
is going to get you if you make the wiring appear OEM (w/ OEM connectors,
tie-wraps, etc.).

I'm not so lucky. I'm in CA, and have to get the car SMOG checked every two
years. I'll have to remove the ENTIRE custom turbo set-up: Electromotive TEC II,
larger injectors, FPR, copper headgasket (have to raise the CR back up to 10:1),
3" exhaust & 3" downpipe, J-pipe, all plumbing, all TEC II wiring, install an
OEM wiring harness to the engine...ARRRGH!!!

I guess I could use it as an excuse to swap in a freshly bored out short block,
while I have the head off. Maybe upgrade to all forged pistons/rods. =)

Anybody go to a SMOG referee station to get their car exempted? I can dial the
emissions in to better than OEM w/ the TEC II and a laptop. Or, I could have a
"SMOG" program just for it, w/ the EGR functioning as well. CA SMOG test is
simple enough. They check the car at 900 rpm for 30 seconds, then 2500 rpm for
30 or 45 seconds, then check it again at 900 rpm. Visual inspection checks the
fuel filler flap (so the car can't use leaded), the Cat, the EGR vacuum pump
test, vacuum lines, and a watchful eye for any aftermarket goodies
(turbo/NOS/SC, etc.). Thoughts on the SMOG ref station? If I didn't pass, the
car would be VIN marked for life! =(

Jason
'93 SLC