Which Intake

David Sagers dls2867 at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 6 01:40:30 GMT 1999

There are some pretty smart people on this list and I need some help.
I'm building a 434 ci twin turbo small block chevy, waste gates set at
12 psi, mild turbo cam, EFI, 8.5:1 compression and Brodix Track I heads,
215cc intake ports.  It's going in a stock '81 Corvette, about 3,600
lbs.

I was going to use some wildly ported Bowtie "101" heads and a matching
intake, but the engine builder said the heads and intake were way too
big for a streetable engine that needs lots of torque on the bottom end.
He said the big ports and intake would kill throttle response in the
lower (streetable) RPM range and that off idle would be clumsy.

My question is then what kind of intake would anyone recommend.  I want
a car that is fun to drive on the street by making gobs of low end
torque, but still be be able to run with the big blocks on the top end.

I like the idea of using an existing EFI system as it saves me many $$
if I don't have to pay to have a manifold drilled, welded & converted to
EFI, but building this right the first time is more important than
saving money.

I've looked at the GM TPI system, but since it was designed for a 305
ci, and runs out of breathing by 4500 RPM on a stock 305/350 small
block, I figure it's way too small for 434ci.  I've also considered
something like the Lingenfelter(sp)and the Accel TPI systems.  Most of
these are suppose to be good for 5,800 RPM on a 350 SBC, and I wonder if
they are big enough.  Are the bigger volumes in the after market systems
enough to feed a 434 engine in the low RPM range with the turbos pushing
enough air through the TPI system to run the engine up to 6,500 RPM?

Is there another system out there that I should consider?

Thanks for your help.