injector drivers

John Dammeyer johnd at autoartisans.com
Mon Mar 8 04:29:35 GMT 1999

-----Original Message-----
From: Jemison Richard <JemisonR at tce.com>
To: 'diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu'
<diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Sunday, March 07, 1999 3:06 PM
Subject: RE: injector drivers

>John,
>
>How about some details of your design - maybe some parameters, example
maps?
>Also, the ignition system.  Are you able to advance completely
>electronically or do you still depend on a mechanical advance system -
>any extent?   Catch me offline if you'd rather.   Sounds great!

Yes,  I advance completely electronically.  I use grey code for
determining which of the four quadrants I am in on the camshaft.  The
unit has a CAN bus so I spit out the engine parameters to a PC via CAN
and then display on a PC the entire instrument panel using Delphi and
ActiveX.  I have a circular gauge that has 720 degrees and a set of
coloured anular rings representing Intake valve open, Exhaust valve
open,  the needle shows advance and a third red ring shows the injector
pulse width.  Under low pulse widths it sits nicely under the blue
intake valve portion starting inection about 5 degrees after the intake
starts to open.  As the engine speeds up the red ring creeps in the same
direction until about 5 degrees before the intake valve closes. After
that the open time shifts earlier and earlier into the engine cycle.  At
RPM's under 4000 there is no intake/exhaust overlap.  At 4000 RPM the
indication that the VTEC solonoid has been activated arrives and so the
two anular rings that show valve timing change to show that now there is
exhaust/intake overlap.

I run stock injectors at 80% duty cycle.  The ignition is High Energy
Capacitive Discharge and produces a decent spark even at 8V battery
voltage.

It's really quite fascinating to watch.  As the engine speeds up the
valve and ignition timing changes graphically on the PC screen.  I have
a linear gauge that shows the O2 sensor and it tracks mixture nicely.

Overall,  thanks to information from Bruce Bowling,  Al Grippo,  a
series of articles in Circuit Cellar Ink by Ed Lansinger along with all
sorts miscellaneous application notes from Siemens and Philips Semi.
the system is coming along nicely.   Hopefully,  we'll be testing
injection on the dyno this week.

So far,  with an Alison mechanical fuel injection throttle body the
ignition has allowed the engine to produce 130HP at maxium RPM.   And we
know that the Alison doesn't provide an even mixture to the cylinders.

Cheers,

John

>rick
>jemisonr at tce.com