Use larger inj. & dual -pots/SMOG

Mark_Duewel at dca.ca.gov Mark_Duewel at dca.ca.gov
Wed Mar 10 02:09:54 GMT 1999

Jason-

Did you research (http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov) yet?  I noticed the list at
(http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/ARB/DevTypeList.asp) contains intercoolers with
EOs, but the Smog Check Inspection Manual (revision 3) states in Section K that
an intercooler is a Category I item that does not require an EO.  I quote the
header to the list: "Items that are not of concern as long as the required
emission controls are connected and functioning".  I'm sorry that the Inspection
Manual is not on the web site, but any licensed Smog Check station is required
to have one.

All Smog Check stations must abide by the instructions in the Smog Check
Inspection Manual, Smog Check Referees not excepted.  There is no reason to
schedule a Referee appointment if you have all of the "...required emission
controls, ...connected and functioning".  Your replacement of the powertrain
management with the TEC II would absolutely not be acceptable to the Referee,
but might go unnoticed by a regular Smog Check station if it was concealed
(e.g., under the dash).  I have no doubt that your TEC II can be dialed in as
good as OEM, but these are the rules!  The non-OEM turbo is absolutely not
permitted without an EO.  However, several EOs exist for VW Golf retrofits - why
not the VR6?

To summarize, the California Smog Check Referee will not pass any modification
that is not either Category I - exempt as long as all required parts are still
serviceable, Category II - allowable replacements (see list in Inspection
Manual), or Category III - parts/systems requiring ARB approval (Executive
Order).

After lurking here and on the IMON site, I think I can almost double the hp of
my Ford 2.3 turbo (currently non-intercooled) without any EO parts, and still
get my Smog Check certificate from a regular station.  BTW, the ASM loaded-mode
test is only performed at 15 and 25 mph, no transients.  Pretty easy to program
around.

-Mark

Jason_Leone at amat.com on 03/08/99 10:46:22 AM