AutoMeter (Aluminum or Platinum???)

d houlton x0710 tc75918 at hpra5.msc.az.boeing.com
Wed Mar 10 19:51:50 GMT 1999

Anybody know what's up with AutoMeter and their seeming astronomical prices
on some of their gauges?

I asked about their electric fuel pressure gauges a while ago.  I had
wanted one for tuning my turbo install until I found out they were $180.
So, I passed and may end up getting one of the Intellitronix ones though.

Kinda bites though as I really like the UltraLite series gauges and
would prefer to keep mine all the same.

So now I'm also looking for an EGT gauge.  I had seen somewhere that
they had these in the 2" UltraLite and Phantom series, but couldn't find
a listing for them.  So I called AutoMeter and yes, they do make them and
I got the part numbers.  Called Summit to check on price and availability.

Yes they've got em.  $101 for the EGT.  Kinda high I think, but for an
EGT gauge, maybe not.  So feeling moderately gouged, I'm figureing I might
as well get it because I really do want one.  But, AutoMeter also said I
need a thermocouple.  So I have Summit check that.  I'm expecting another
$20 or so, but I'm willing to part with it.  Guess what, it's $141.00!!!
WTF is up with that?  $141 for a thermocouple?  What's with AutoMeter?

$180 for an electric fuel pressure gauge.  Around $250 for an EGT gauge.
Do people actually pay these prices?  Am I expecting too much for too
little?  Most of their other gauges seem reasonable, but these are so
over priced I can't believe it.

BTW, is a thermocouple a thermocouple a thermocouple?  I mean are they
like O2 sensors at all.  Can I go find a cheap one from Wick's (I think
I've seen them for under $20) or someplace else and expect it to work?

thanks
--Dan