3800 supercharged, please read!

David A. Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 11 03:39:06 GMT 1999

At 07:25 PM 3/10/99 -0500, you wrote:

>   Hi all.. the question I pose is a tough one I believe.
>
> I own a 1988 buick Lesabre T-type with a 3800 series I in it.
> I am changing the engine for a 1997 3800 series II supercharged.
> What I would like to do is run the motor off of the stock computer. I figure
> what I need to change is the prom, or the information on it anyways.
> I think I already got the correct binary image of my prom from one of the
> link sites.. but I would like to get an image of the 1997 grand prix GTP
> codes.. so that I can program mine the same.. any other suggestions on
> reprogramming the unit? or should it just run  ok off the stock motor?
>
> Somone else I know has done this swap... with success.. but he hasn't touched
> the computer yet.. he say's it's running fine however the check engine soon
> light has been on since the swap. I'm sure things like the BLM #'s, and spark
> advance are different.. please email me with any help you might have, thanks
> again
>
> Kevin

Kevin,
The 1988 and 1997 PCM's are totally different animals... You can't take the
binary from a 1997 PCM and run it in the 88 PCM.  What you need is the table
info for the computer you have so you can modify it (Try the chip from a 1988
Bonneville Supercharged if they made one or a park ave ultra). or put the PCM
and harness from the 1997 donor.

           David Cooley N5XMT           Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
       I am Pentium of Borg...division is futile...you will be approximated.