Suggestions on altitude compensation for mechanical FI system wanted...

Gary Derian gderian at cybergate.net
Thu Mar 11 12:55:24 GMT 1999

Are you doing hillclimbs or does your commute have large elevation changes
in it?  Since you are metering strictly with shuttle movement, you have to
rig up some means of adjusting that movement with a barometer.  If the fixed
end of the shuttle can be accessed (its been a long time since I looked at a
Lucas mechanical system) perhaps some king of screw adjustment can be added
there.  If that side is buried inside the fuel distributor, you have to work
with the mounting points for the springs in the vacuum unit.  That unit
could be attached to a moveable piece that was controlled by a stepper
motor.  This motor could then be controlled to provide mixture control for
temperature, barometer, O2 sensor, etc.

Modifying the vacuum signal would be tricky since it varies all the time.
Perhaps an adjustable bleed, which would only richen it up, could be added.
The base setting could be set for high altitude and the bleed increased as
altitude decreased.

Gary Derian <gderian at cybergate.net>