EFI in a boat

Pat Ford pford at qnx.com
Thu Mar 11 14:52:13 GMT 1999

On Thu, 11 Mar 1999, NIls =?iso-8859-1?Q?Bj=F6rkman?= wrote:

> Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 01:26:38 +0100
> From: NIls =?iso-8859-1?Q?Bj=F6rkman?= <nisse.honik at sodertalje.mail.telia.com>
> To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject: EFI in a boat
>
> Hi
>
> I´m pretty new on this list
> I have been thinking of implementing EFI on my boat engine for a while
> now
> I wonder if there are anyone with experiance of EFI on engines for
> boats.
> Im planing to design my own EFI based on an PIC16C74A microcontroller.
> Im pretty familiar whith that and have all nesessary equipment and
> experience to make the design and program.
>
> My boat is a 20 ft long hardtop boat at aprox 1 ton.
> Engine is Volvo Penta AQ145. It´s a 2.3 liter, 4cylinders. aprox 145 hp,

Is this the beast that is based on the volvo car engine? if os a good
start would be the wreckers ( I had to replace an intake that cracked
and found the car intake worked well, and seemed to move the torque a bit)

> dual solex carbs, overhead camshaft.
> To day the top speed is 25 knots at 5500 rpm, but it takes LONG time to
> get there.
> I hope to be able to move the torque curve a bit downwards so it will
> accelerate in a more sufficient way.

I think the longer runners on the automotive intake MIGHT(??) help

Pat Ford                           email: pford at qnx.com
QNX Software Systems, Ltd.           WWW: http://www.qnx.com
(613) 591-0931      (voice)         mail: 175 Terrence Matthews
(613) 591-3579      (fax)                 Kanata, Ontario, Canada K2M 1W8