Off Panhard bar

Sandy sganz at wgn.net
Thu Mar 11 23:35:35 GMT 1999

I can't remember if it was Herb Adams books on Chassis or another, but
typical 4 link rears don't need the panhard bar as the suspension is
located accuratly by the 4 links, that is without the rubber bushing. I
think the OLD chevy power book has some information of the various rear
suspension types.  I think the mounting of the bar and the bar length makes
it all work correctly, just not sure if that still applies to 4 links. Also
I think described is the Watts linkage (I think) which you have the center
of the pumpkin with a strange piviot device that can also act as a locating
device (like a bell crank) with 2 links that center around that. Most good
suspension book should have all the geometry and various suspension types.
Can get as complex as you want, with lots of ugly math. Try finding the
Herb Adams book, I think it is called Chassis Engineering. It was written
for the racer not the physics expert.

Sandy