[M] Alterpower alternator charging control switch

KD6JDJ at aol.com KD6JDJ at aol.com
Fri Mar 12 07:20:28 GMT 1999

  I thought that this discussion started out as one that considers how much
power could be unloaded from an engine if the alternator was to be disabled.
  I wanted to point out that -- when a battery is charged up , the voltage
regulator cuts off the current to the stator and the rotor spins with little
resistance. So, little power is consumed by an alternator its regulator senses
14.2 volts. And when the battery cells get up to 12VDC the alternator needs to
supply very little energy to the battery.
  The rest of the car may have need for power from the alternator.
  If we consider that the alternator is 75% efficient , it will consume 746
watts (1 hp) when it delivers 560 watts. That is about 40 amps at14 volts.
  I thought that it would be clear that the 5 hp claim is based on something
that most cars ( with operating voltage regulators ) dont encounter.
  Maybe the satisfied users of the alternator disconnector are professional
racers , where every little bit counts.

  While I'm at it --- 99% of todays automotive alternators are 3 phase AC ,
with 6 diodes in a full wave bridge. It is impressive how little ripple
results .

   Jerry