[M] Alterpower alternator charging control switch

David A. Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Fri Mar 12 12:40:28 GMT 1999

At 01:27 AM 3/12/99 -0500, you wrote:
>KD6JDJ at aol.com wrote:
>
>>   Then if we are considering that the battery is charged, as stated, the
>power
>> consumed by the alternator should be way under a hp.
>
>Doesn't the alternator keep the system voltage a little higher than 12.0vdc?

Yep... Varies by temp... when cold, full charge voltage from an alternator
is about 14.2VDC... when hot, 13.6VDC

> This
>may just be my gauge inaccuracy, but my dash voltmeter reads around 13.5vdc
>when
>I'm not at idle.  What I'm thinking is if you disconnect the alt at WOT to
>remove
>that extra little load, won't you effectively lower your spark voltage?

Yep, and cause the PCM to calculate a longer PW for the Fuel Injectors...
Could saturate them and cause them to run static... less volume from the
pump with less voltage as well... could be bad for the engine.
           David Cooley N5XMT           Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
       I am Pentium of Borg...division is futile...you will be approximated.