[M] Alterpower alternator charging control switch

Jemison Richard JemisonR at tce.com
Fri Mar 12 13:28:21 GMT 1999

Let me jump in here.  Most of the performance rags 20 years ago during the
dyno tune age when the mags spent much time reporting on dyno time being
used by big teams like Mickey Thomson, Smokey Yunick, Ed Pink, Keith Black,
etc - it was quite common on motors being setup for endurance type racing
and therefore equipped with alternators to report a 5+ hp loss.  Some of
this was recooped by installing bigger pulleys on the alternators.   Some
did use clutches (like your air  conditioner) which would dump the
alternator during peak rpm periods.  Seems like Hot Rod put out a Chevy
manual sometime past which had an article on alternators and included some
discussion of this situation.

rick