Electric water pumps (was) alt charging cont sw

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Fri Mar 12 15:59:18 GMT 1999

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Glen Beard wrote:

> Frederic Breitwieser wrote:
>
> > > you should see what a diff an electric sater pump makes
> > > some stock pumps use more than 30 HP at redline on a revver
> >
> > I've heard this, however never had the courage to venture into this method.  I've
> > always been afraid that the alternator would go, and the pump would slow down and
> > not cool properly.  Probably a silly fear, since the EFI systems I slap on
> > everything run off the alternator too.  No voltage, no anything, not just water.
>
> Now water pumps...  I believe that electric water pumps are worth more than just HP.
> You can run them whit the electric fans in the staging lanes to cool the motor.
>
> Don't the dragsters run the 1/4 w/o a water pump at all?  You could turn it off just
> before the run.

It is useful to have an electric water pump, but I believe drag race
is about the only use.   There are several people (on the f-body list
with electric pumps), that say that the do not flow enough for road
racing, so that needs to be kept in mine when looking at one.  It may
comprimise being able to use the vehicle as a daily drive or a road
race vehicle.  If I was only drag racing, I would have an electric.

					Roger