[M] Alterpower alternator charging control switch

KD6JDJ at aol.com KD6JDJ at aol.com
Fri Mar 12 17:00:25 GMT 1999

I agree the alternator output is very low when the battery is charged but
the stator coils are still charged (and therefore exerting a magnetic field)
and there is still a mechanical loss associated with spinning the
alternator.   I don't know that you can prove or disprove this theory on the
electrical basis of the alternators parameters alone completely discounting
the mechanical losses.  All I can tell you is that this has been a pretty
well established and observed loss on dynomometers with engines running at
speeds above 5000 rpm.   Alternator on the engine (X -5 hp).  Stop - pull
the alternator - rerun the test ( X output!).  Seems pretty simple.  For
myself - I don't really care WHY the alternators sucking the power.  If I
get down to where 5 hp makes the difference - the alternator's gone!

  That is not fair  --- you pulled the fan (on the alternator) off.

   Jerry