Electric water pumps (was) alt charging cont sw

steve ravet Steve.Ravet at arm.com
Fri Mar 12 19:38:55 GMT 1999

> I have pondered the us of electric water pumps and I believe that they would
> be beneficial in many ways:
>
> First no thermostat would be needed, when the engine get's to operating temp
> the pump would turn on..

The pump has to run all the time, you don't want water sitting still
inside the block.  It'll boil away from the cylinder walls before it
even gets warm wherever your temp sensor is.  When the thermostat is
closed on a normal engine there is still water flowing through the
engine, either out thru the heater core and back in, or through a bypass
in the water pump or something.

> Second the pump can run at varying speeds, while light cruising the pump speed
> would be slower than at full steam, saving fuel..

makes sense.

> Thrid the engine could theoretically warm up quicker as there would be no leak
> past a closed thermostat and coolant wouldn't be circulating through a cold
> engine...

see above...

> Fourth reverse flow coolant systems could be retorfitted easily just by
> reversing the current to the pump, no special reverse flow pump impellers
> would be needed...

isnt' there more to reverse flow than just turning the pump backwards?
reverse rotation water pumps have been around since they came up with
serpentine belt drives, but they still made some weird cam driven pump
for the reverse flow LT1.

--steve

--
Steve Ravet