Chassis dynos exposed

Clarence L.Snyder clare.snyder.on.ca at ibm.net
Sat Mar 13 04:57:33 GMT 1999

> That's an engine dyno setup, I've never seen a car dyno of this type.
> The dynojet type systems have been around for at least three years (my
> earliest chassis dyno runs)
>
> [...]
The "rolling road" dynos - can't remember the brand but my memory seems
to think Stewart Warner or ? from the sixties/seventies were combination
load cell/inertia units. The inertia rollers could be used for brake
testing as well as making the load test realistic. No fancy PC to
control it, but in skilled hands you could do a full RPM range, through
the gears, in about 2 minutes flat. The readings were strictly RPM and
torque from which the horsepower was derived using a circular slide rule
supplied with the unit. If I remember correctly there was a paper strip
readout, like a printing calculator available. The one we had at the
college just used a second body to write the numbers when you pushed the
meter lock button. Pick your RPM, throttle up, load it down, balance
load and throttle until the RPM at WOT was at spec, and read the torque.