How easy would it be to swap a 4L60e for a 4L80e

Doug Bazarnic doug at ddelectronics.com
Sat Mar 13 08:28:41 GMT 1999

I just broke the input hub / shaft assembly for the second time on my '95
Chevy 1/2 ton truck.  It keeps blowing out the aluminum lugs that retain
the snap ring for 3rd gear.   I do have extra ponies under the hood, but I
don't see how the extra power would be causing this problem.  (It's 355
cubic inches, B&M blower, Air Flow Research Heads, large roller cam, Cola
Crank, Ross Racing Pistons, Eagle Rods, etc etc)  The truck only runs in
the low 14's, but this tranny breakage is nuts.

The truck has a total of 42,000 miles on it and I've broken an Art Carr 10"
Torque Converter, and the aluminum input hub/shaft twice now.  The aluminum
hub is a cast piece of sh*t, and it's teeth that hold the snap ring in
place leave.  This last hub (which was brand new from GM and about 6 months
old) lasted less than 8,000 miles.   Either I'm putting too much thru this
tranny,  or it's a real piece of crap.

Ohh, and by the way, I drive it like it was a Corvette on a road course!
It weighs in at 3944 lbs.

So the $100 question is: How easy would it be to swap the 4l60e vs the
4l80e.  Can the stock computer talk to a 4l80e without any probs?   I've
got the mastertune software that lets me change what ever I want, so shift
points / line pressure wouldn't be a problem, if the stock computer can do
it.   Also, are the wiring harness connectors the same?

Thanks,

Doug Bazarnic

P.s.  If anyone is interested in my calibrations / chip sw, lemme know, as
I'd be happy to share.