hp loss

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Sat Mar 13 23:17:58 GMT 1999

>Of course a hypoid has more friction than a bevel gear but how much?
>Viscous drag from the lube also has a great influence and is greater with a
>hypoid.  I suspect the differences between hypoid and bevel are measurable
>but small.
>
>Gary Derian <gderian at oh.verio.com>

Well- a hypoid does have sliding contact between the gear teeth, where a
bevel, even a spiral bevel does not (all rolling tooth contact with these).
So there should be at least a LITTLE more friction in a hypoid. The sliding
contact is the whole reason why you need the EP additives in the gear oil
for hypoids.

Greg