hp loss

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Sun Mar 14 03:45:10 GMT 1999

>On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, Greg Hermann wrote:
>

>> A twelve bolt and a Dana 60 both have about half of the pinion axis drop
>> below the centerline that the Ford 9 does. Guess would be that a 12 bolt
>> ring is nearly as strong as a 9, Dana 60 is a BUNCH tougher--but neither
>> has the nose bearing for the pinion--which adds a LOT of stability to the
>> gear mesh under load. (If you doubt the significance of the nose bearing
>> for taking heavy torque loads well, check out the design of any heavy truck
>> or heavy equipment center section, Rockwell, Eaton, ZF, anybody's1)
>>
>The pinion nose bearing is a feature of many medium duty axles [as is a
>bronze thrust block for the back of the ring gear, another good idea] but
>in the Ford 8-8 3/4-9-and 9 3/8 inch axles, it is needed to offset the
>weakening effect of the very close placement of the pinion bearings, IMO.

I think mebbe the horse came before the cart on that one--with the nose
bearing, the front pinion bearings CAN be closer together, so they put them
that way--The bearings on GM or Dana style asle HAVE to be further apart--

The main pinion bearings on the big Rockwells and Eatons are fairly close
together, too. And--yes--the bronze thrust block helps stabilize the gear
mesh a lot too!

Regards, Greg