Electric water pumps (was) alt charging cont sw

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Sun Mar 14 19:38:03 GMT 1999

No, you are not. Looking at some pump curves here. A pump with a 2" D.
inlet and outlet, 5" D. impeller. at 1800 rpm,  will flow 80 GPM, make 20
feet of head, and use .66HP. Same pump at 3600 rpm will flow 150 GPM while
making 82 feet of head, and use 4.5 HP to do it. (All numbers are for
pumping H2O.) This is not too far off the size of a water pump for a SBC,
but prolly is a curve for a BUNCH more efficient pump design than what is
in a Chebby. But definitely good order of magnitude numbers for a pump in
this size range.

I have no desire to have a 3HP (min) electric motor hanging off of the
front of my engine to  drive the water pump!

Regards, Greg