Bosch pump #

Walter Sherwin wsherwin at idirect.com
Mon Mar 15 02:20:04 GMT 1999

>Does anyone have numbers for big Bosch pumps?? something that will handle
>550-600 Hp?? I have a place to buy them but no specifications except make,
>year and model... HELP..
>
>TIA  Tom

The largest capacity generic Bosch electric fuel pump is 0 580 254 984 (also
known as GFP 216).  It can be used either as an "external-to-tank" pump, or
as an "internal-to-tank" pump.  The inlet is approximately .5" diameter, and
is shaped as a slip-over hose nipple.  The outlet is a 12mm female thread,
and houses an integral check valve.  Most hydraulic shops carry adapters
which will screw into the outlet, and adapt the 12mm/copper washer seal to
something like a 6AN or 8AN hose fitting seal.  At 12 volts, the pump flows
57 GPH(US) at 10 psig and 6 amps, falling to 37 GPH(US) at 100psig and 13
amps.  In between these two points the curve is almost a straight line.
There are other part numbers which share the same rollervane "pumping cell",
and will flow similar capacities, but they introduce idiosyncrasies
associated with their OE hookups and packaging requirements.

Part number 0 580 254 023 is one such offshoot, that has an integral "open
filter bottom".  This in-tank pump can double as a pump/filter combo unit.
However, the filter screen area  is small (flat screen 60mm diameter, by
70microns fine), and CAN plug prematurely unless you either place a filter
screen in the vehicle's fuel filler neck, or maintain a very clean fuel
system.

Hope that helped;
Walt.