Frederic Breitwieser/turbo discussion

Jim Yeagley jimyeagley at stratos.net
Mon Mar 15 14:08:45 GMT 1999

>We have to have a discussion first LOL

Ok, I'll start!

I was mulling around a little idea I had about my Pontiac.  It's in the
garage with no fenders, the 400 looks pretty bare, with no harness or
plumbing.  I have a spare (used) turbo sitting there from my old Mustang
('84 GT350, turbo4) and have been contemplating adding this along with efi.
Then I thought about a setup something like the original post about the
variable exhaust system.  I was thinking about a relatively small turbo
driven by one bank, to get the boost rolling, then a pretty large turbo on
the other bank that would take over at higher rpm's.  I didn't get into the
pro's and con's yet.

One  thought was the need for some sort of "flapper" valve to avoid the
small side disrupting the spooling up of the big side.  A 2 into 1 Y, with a
long flap in the transition area, that would effectively close off the big
end at lower rpm, when the little guy was pumping away, then as boost built
on the big side, it would force open the valve and provide big end juice.

How about that?  Food for thought, or brain fodder?

Jim Yeagley
1996 Dodge Indy Ram
See it and many others at: www.indyram.org
1975 Pontiac Grandville Brougham Conv. (in baskets)
webmaster at indyram.org
jimyeagley at stratos.net