Camshaft Selection

goflo at pacbell.net goflo at pacbell.net
Mon Mar 15 16:16:21 GMT 1999

Gwyn Reedy wrote:

> I have the 402 BBC out of my 72 Cheyenne pickup torn down for a rebuild.

< SNIP >

> The cam shows a lot of wear. Looks like the original cam with 70k miles on
> it. Some of the lifters are starting to get concave a bit too.

Lifter geometry in BBC is a problem - You might consider
a modification to the block called "Lifter-Tru", which
involves indexing off the shot-pin holes and the cam-crank
centerline to locate where the lifter bores should be -
They can then be bored for larger lifters, or bushed if
necessary - I've seen offsets large enough to require a
bushing.
Having done this, lots of good roller profiles out there.
I've had good luck with Comp Cams - Fit a grind that
does'nt need a spring that looks like a suspension part
and your valve train can outlast the engine, IMHO.

Jack