Frederic Breitwieser/turbo discussion

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at xephic.dynip.com
Wed Mar 17 16:41:41 GMT 1999

> Slightly out of sequence; how did you determine turbo over-speed?

Unfortunately by bearing failure.  We had attached discs to the turbo
shaft to optically capture the RPM.  Exceeded my frequency counter
function on my Fluke however, so it just err'd like the turbo
bearings.

The easiest way, and what I should have done, is use a cheap-ass tach
connected to a "divide by something" CMOS logic connected to some
optoelectronics and then it could have been dash mounted.

We even got clever (ha) and attempted to connect the two turbo shafts
together via a simple shaft. However, the expansion of the headers and
the weakness of the connecting rod resulted in a fragmentation of the
shaft.

DUCK!

--

Frederic Breitwieser
Bridgeport CT 06606

1993 Supercharged Lincoln Continental
1989 HWMMV w/turbocharged 500cid Caddy
1975 Dodge D200 Club Cab soon to have 431 stroker + turbos
2000 (I hope) Buick GTP (Mid-Engined Sports Car)