Frederic Breitwieser/turbo discussion, design Q's

Clarence Wood clarencewood at centuryinter.net
Thu Mar 18 03:37:45 GMT 1999

  I would like to inject a bit of information here:  The banjo turbine discharge.  "Turbochargers" by H.MacInnes, pg.72-73.  Stating that the banjo-type fitting worked at least as well as a straight exhaust.  I mention this because of the way the turbo spins the exhaust it is important to change the swirl into turbulent flow "as soon as possible".  I have been trying to find a Banjo but have not had any luck.  I think it is really slick the way it works.
  And, I quote from the text: "A slight restriction in the exhaust pipe can be an effective high-speed boost control.  An exhaust restriction can be used as a fail-safe method to limit manifold pressure without low or medium rpm power penalty."